The Syrian refugees destined for Ballaghaderreen will not be arriving in the town today or anytime this week as previously thought.
The department of justice confirmed to the Roscommon Herald that the people expected to arrive today, Tuesday March 7th, will not be arriving due to “minor delays”.
“Following consultation with local service providers and the contractors responsible for preparatory works at the facility it has been decided that persons will not be moving to the new centre at Ballaghdereen this week,” the spokesperson said.
“It is intended to now move the full group next week. Minor delays such as this are not unusual and can and do arise when it comes to opening a brand new centre.”
The department also said that the first and second groups, believed to be 79 adults and children, will arrive together.
“This is expected to be on March 14th but as outlined this may be subject to change where operational issues arise.”