Man charged after €100,000 cocaine seized in County Roscommon granted bail

Court told 63 efforts were made over the past few days to contact a solicitor on the man's behalf.
Man charged after €100,000 cocaine seized in County Roscommon granted bail

A 44-year-old man charged in connection with the Garda seizure of €100,000 of cocaine from a car in County Roscommon last Sunday (August 16th) has been remanded in custody with consent to bail.

A 44-year-old man charged in connection with the Garda seizure of €100,000 of cocaine from a car in County Roscommon last Sunday (August 16th) has been remanded in custody with consent to bail.

Patrick Irwin, of Carrowgubaddagh, Ballisodare, County Sligo was granted bail by Judge Ciaran Liddy at a special sitting of Sligo District Court on Friday night.

Irwin is accused of the unlawful possession of 1.009 kg of cocaine and with having it for sale or supply at Keadue West, Keadue, County Roscommon on August 16th.

Garda Conor McNulty of Sligo Garda Station gave evidence of the arrest, charge and caution of the accused on Friday on the first charge at 1.58 p.m. and the second charge at 4.21 p.m.. Irwin made no reply to either charge after caution.

Inspector Angela Cummins told the court the State’s application was to remand Irwin in custody.

Inspector Cummins said it was accepted that Irwin had no legal representation in court and told the judge that “all efforts were made to explain it to him.” She said 63 efforts were made over the past few days to contact a solicitor on Irwin’s behalf. 

The inspector said the State was going to object to bail and Detective Sergeant Brendan Bourke outlined the reasons for the State’s objection to bail.

Cross-examining Det. Sgt. Bourke, Irwin put it to him that he had always complied with his bail conditions to which Det. Sgt. Bourke replied “yes.” 

 Irwin said he was “disadvantaged” by not having a solicitor in court and said he had been co-operative with gardaí during questioning. “I would have loved to have had legal representation. We rang dozens,” he said, but nobody had wanted to take on the case.

“I’ve already shown I can comply with bail. I’m asking the court to let me comply with new bail conditions,” he told the judge.

Judge Liddy noted the Garda objections, the evidence alleged against Irwin and the Garda concern, but he also said Irwin had demonstrated he is complying with existing bail conditions.

“On balance I’m minded to grant bail but not of the type that he currently enjoys,” he told the court.

He granted Irwin bail on condition he provides an independent surety of €30,000, €10,000 of which must be in cash which must also be approved by Gardaí to allow them to examine and identify its provenance.

Other bail conditions include that Irwin must sign on each Wednesday and Sunday at Sligo Garda Station between 9 a.m.-9 p.m., stay out of any licenced premises and not interfere with any witnesses.

Judge Liddy remanded Irwin in custody with consent to bail to Mullingar District Court at 11 a.m. on Monday, August 24th.

“If we do have a surety on that day and we can confirm it 24 hours later I’ll be released?” Irwin asked. “Once it’s approved,” replied the judge.

Inspector Cummins said it may take the State “a little longer than 24 hours” to approve the independent surety but agreed to expedite it as the accused was in custody.

*Published as part of the Local Democrarcy Reporting Scheme.

More in this section