Israeli team playing in Ireland could spark ‘enormous’ protests – Boyd Barrett

People Before Profit leader Richard Boyd Barrett said he hoped the match would not go ahead
Israeli team playing in Ireland could spark ‘enormous’ protests – Boyd Barrett

By Bairbre Holmes, Press Association

“Enormous protests” could take place if Israel were to play a football match in Dublin, Richard Boyd Barrett has said.

The People Before Profit leader was speaking at the start of the National March for Palestine in Dublin city centre on Saturday.

The Republic of Ireland were drawn in a group with Israel as part of the Uefa Nations League last week.

The two teams are due to play each other in the autumn: the away leg on September 27th and the home game on October 4th.

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) has said Ireland will fulfil the fixtures.

Boyd Barrett said he hopes they will not go ahead, saying: “Uefa should do the right thing.

“The FAI should do the right thing.

“But ultimately, if the match goes ahead in Ireland, I think there will be absolutely enormous protests because I think that decision would not reflect the views of the Irish people”.

He added it is “not unique” to see sporting sanctions imposed on nations involved in conflicts, or who have been internationally condemned for their actions.

“There were sanctions against apartheid South Africa, there’s been sanctions against Russia for what it’s doing in Ukraine, there were sanctions against Yugoslavia for what it was doing against Kosovo.

“So why is there not sanctions against Israel for the crimes it’s committing against Palestinians?”

The Dun Laoghaire TD said it is “important” to boycott Israel so it is not “normalised”.

He said: “Boycotting Israel and casting it out of the community of nations, whether it’s football or other areas, is a way that we can actually impose some sanction on Israel for the crimes it’s committing.”

On Sunday, Simon Harris said Ireland’s football team would be “losing out” if matches against Israel were boycotted.

Speaking on RTÉ radio he said: “We have to recognise, though, when it comes to soccer, and when it comes to the Irish soccer team, not doing anything would actually disadvantage the team and wouldn’t have any effect at all on Israel.”

Speaking last Friday the Taoiseach also said the games should go ahead.

Micheál Martin said the Government had “opposed very strongly” Israeli government policy within Gaza, but said “people have to distinguish between the government of Israel and its policies and the people of Israel”.

He said there should not be security issues for the game in Ireland and the “team should be allowed play”.

More in this section