FA investigates Southampton over ‘Spygate’ scandal
By Jamie Gardner and Edward Elliot, Press Association
Southampton are now under investigation by the Football Association in relation to the ‘Spygate’ scandal.
The FA is looking at whether charges should be brought, following on from a decision by an EFL independent disciplinary commission to expel Saints from the Championship play-offs and dock four points for next season.
An FA spokesperson said: “We will now investigate and won’t comment further until we have assessed the evidence.”
Southampton admitted to spying on a training session held by play-off semi-final opponents Middlesbrough earlier this month, as well as one held by Oxford in December and an Ipswich session in April.
All three instances occurred following the appointment of Tonda Eckert as head coach in early December.
The club’s appeal against the sanction imposed by the commission was dismissed on Wednesday night, with Boro now replacing Saints in Saturday’s play-off final against Hull.
Southampton chief executive Phil Parsons said the sanctions imposed were “manifestly disproportionate”.
Kicking them out of the play-offs also denies them a shot at a Premier League place and with it an estimated £200 million in additional revenue as a minimum.
Saints’ player of the year Leo Scienza described the punishment as “heartbreaking” and said the club’s fans “definitely deserved better”.
A statement from Phil Parsons, Chief Executive, Southampton Football Club.
— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) May 20, 2026
“We gave everything for this dream,” he posted on Instagram. “Day after day, sacrifice after sacrifice, always believing we could bring this club back to where it belongs.
“For me, the dream of playing in the Premier League was something I fought for with everything I had. That’s why this pain cuts so deep.”
Middlesbrough welcomed Southampton’s expulsion, saying the sanction “sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct”.
Eckert’s future as Southampton boss is now in major doubt, while reports suggest Southampton’s players are considering legal action against the club.
The club said in a statement on Wednesday evening that “trust now needs to be rebuilt”.

“That work begins immediately,” it added.
“The club will reflect carefully on the events that have led to this point, learn from them and take the necessary steps to move forward responsibly.
“While tonight is a painful moment, this football club will respond with humility, accountability and determination to put things right.”

